Saturday, February 18, 2006

What's In A Name?

With all the pregancies and potential pregnancies in Summerland at the moment there has been much discussion amongst the ladies about baby names. Personally I like to know what a name means as I think that this is just as important as how it sounds. For my birthday Angella made me a card that had the meaning of my name on it:

Adele: 'noble cheer'.
Self-sacrificing, cultured, gentle.
Suited for an early marriage.
Has intelligence and will-power.
Craig says that this suits me perfectly (i'm not quite sure). I know that Craig means rock, steadfast and dependable and I know that that is certainly Craig. It's strange how sometimes the names our parents pick for us can be so perfect for us. So for all you mothers to be remember to check the meanings of the names first because it'll be your own fault if you name your child something that means 'little rascal'. Hmmm I wonder what Annelise means.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Jennifer: White wave. That is SO me. ;)

Abigail means "father's joy" which is why we chose it. Jordan was BEYOND thrilled when he learned he would be a daddy. :)

Amanda Brown said...

Yes, Anneliese will be the perfect name for our little girl. That we are having. WE ARE HAVING A GIRL! I am so happy!! :)

Amanda means "worthy of love"

Am I? :)

Angella said...

Sweet GIRL!!

I think your name DOES suit you perfectly - that's why I put it on your card!

:)

Sarah said...

Hey Adele
Sarah means Princess...i like it :)
Thanks for your comment on my blog! Well put!

karen said...

My name means 'pure' -- that's alot to live up to!!

Sarah's middle name Dalziel means 'I dare' -- see recent post on my blog -- maybe we should have named her something else!

Kaili said...

Robin and I are really big into finding out the meanings of names, there is a certian name that i really like for a girl, but, it has a terrible meaning, so we won't be using that. But yes I agree with you there, check out the meanings before nameing anyone anything!

Isabella said...

I agree about name meanings being important too. My name, as previously mentioned, means "worthy of love" and while I know it was chosen due to song lyrics and not meaning I find it a challenge to fit my name every day. We chose our daughter's name based on meaning- "beautiful wisdom" is what Isabella Sophia means and we chose it because it truly was God's timing and his beautiful wisdom that chose this time for her to be alive!